Monday, May 14, 2007

counting down

Each time I look at that ticker above this post I feel a wave of emotions. Anxious, nervous, scared, excited, anxiety, and happiness. I am so excited to hold, dress, and just look at this baby girl. But I am worried that I may lose my mind with three little ones. Everywhere I go people tell me that I am going to have my hands full. The other day a man even said, "Wow, you must be a very good catholic." I know that my life will change and things will be hectic but don't people see the good in being a mother of young children? Is having three kids really that insane and unusual these days? Even on the hardest days there is nothing else I would rather be doing. That is an honest answer. It makes me emotional just to think of the day when I won't have little children to hug and kiss at any moment.



Above all I just want people to know that yes I am nervous about taking care of three children. I don't look forward to sleepless nights only to get up in the morning and take care of my other kids. But this is the life I've always wanted. I can't imagine doing anything else that would make me happier or feel more fulfilled, loved and needed. There is no better feeling than being the very one person your child wants when they are scared or hurt. And knowing that you can make it all better.

I am also nervous about going through the physical experience of having a baby. Contractions, back pain, bleeding, breastfeeding, and most of all, after labor contractions. The last about killed me with Cohen and everyone tells me that they only get worse with each baby. I think I would rather have an epidural for that than I would for actual labor.

In probably less than 5 weeks and 3 days we will bring our daughter home. Things will be hectic and crazy for the first month or two but I know that it will settle down. Having three kids will eventually feel normal to us and life will feel like it has always been that way. Right? Right.

Happy first birthday to Izzy, my beautiful British niece!

12 comments:

Debbi said...

I don't think you are crazy for 3 at all! People say the dumbest things, I have a friend who said someone called her family a "herd" at 3....only 3 is a herd? Maybe 6, but not 3. You will be a great mom of 3.

Kasey said...

I get the same things said to me. Or if it's not being said, I can read it in their looks. Being a mother of three does add a little more craziness to your life, but I think little Rylee will be a great addition. You are a great mom and I love how positive you are in this post! What you said is all so true. Raising a family is what life is all about! My kids drive me nuts qute a bit of the time, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!
Oh, and I was dreading the after labor contractions with Sienna big time. And they never really came! I think the trick is to take the motrin in anticipation. Take it regularly and it will dull the contractions big time. Worked for me!

Aubree said...

Your emotions describe me completley right now and I am only having baby #2! I really don't want to do labor again and my first was pretty easy! But I don't think 3 is a lot at all! You will do great!!

Stephanie said...

Well if you get it with three, just imagine what I get with four. And the 'are you done yet?' question always comes. I actually love to see the looks on peoples faces when Nick or I say 'we are leaving it up to God'. It is almost funny now. Family is what life is about, our world has gotten so far away from that, I am glad there are women like you and others who are wokring one by one to bring back the amazing-ness of the family!! And I can't wait to meet Rylee. I need a 'girl' baby fix :)

Lindsey said...

Izzy says thank you!

Kasey, when do you start taking motrin? I didn't have any after labor contractions, but I'm scared already for it happens with the next!

I'm so excited for Rylee to get here!!! It will probably be crazy for a month or two, then you'll get into your routine. You are a great mom, Kell. Lucky kids!

Lindsey said...

oh and people think i'm crazy because i'm 23 and have a baby. I was even called a nanny before!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly don't worry...What you are feeling is completely normal. I would be going through the same anxiety that you are. Cohen will grow up dramatically once Rylee arrives and Ammon will mature beyond measure. When a new baby arrives everyone around lends a helping hand. You can do it!!!! and feel sorry for all those that think three toddlers is insane!HA

Jen said...

Being a mom is hands down the hardest but most fullfilling job in the world. It may sound crazy but I found that the more kids I had the easier it was. I think it is mainly because as the other kids get older, they entertain one another and it gives you more time with a new baby. It can still be a juggle going to the grocery store and such but you just do it. I have said it many times..enjoy every second of these little ones because in a flash they are teenagers and getting ready to leave home. They become independent and don't need you in the absolute desperate way they do at a young age. Both stages are fun but being the center of ones world is pretty nice! You are a wonderful mother and you will do a fabulous job with a third baby around the house!

Jen said...

BTW..that Izzy is to die for! She is absolutley ADORABLE!!!!

Jami said...

of course it will be crazy, but of course you will be fine and love every minute of it! I really don't want to be pregnant again and would take labor over pregnancy any day, but I cannot imagine not having another baby already...it really is the best thing ever and you will be the cutest mom of 3. Just get a sling!

Pam said...

All I know is that those three are very lucky to have you as their mom-you and all my daughters, and daughter in law are wonderul moms! And it IS the best job going-well grandma is up their too!

Alex and Mitch said...

I am so excited for Rylee!! It is all worth it.