
Wednesday June 13th was one of the hottest days I have experienced in Santa Rosa. Earlier in the week we learned that our home, as well as many others in Sonoma County, does not have air conditioning. We had the missionaries over for dinner and cooking just added to the heat. Later that night Ammon discovered ants in our living room so Jody and I spent an hour cleaning, vacuuming and spraying. I was on a mission to get rid of the nasty buggers. So much that I think it may have put me in labor. Around eleven I took a cold shower and went to bed. When I woke up at 1:00 to use the restroom I began noticing pretty frequent contractions. I tried to go back to sleep and ignore them but they didn't stop and were coming every 6 to 8 minutes. I started getting nervous because I was told that the baby would probably come very quickly and I still had to drop the boys off at a friends house. But I also wasn't sure if this "was it." So I woke Jody up and told him what was happening. He seriously became one of those hilarious husbands within seconds. He jumped up and nervously got dressed, started getting things together and got the kids in the car. It was funny because I wasn't even sure if I was ready to go to the hospital but he made that decision for me. We dropped the boys off at our friends house at three in the morning. Ammon was super excited because he wanted to play with her dog. Luckily he got in bed and fell asleep quickly.
When we got to the hospital the nurse checked me and I was four centimeters but contractions weren't getting harder or closer together. We walked the hospital for an hour and again nothing changed. Luckily my doctor let me stay and then broke my water in the morning. I got an epidural an hour after she broke my water and then waited to see if I would start contracting more on my own. About noon my contractions started coming more frequently and stronger. Of course I couldn't feel them but I could see them on the monitor. I was afraid that the epidural would wear off like it did with Cohen. Fortunately I was given a button to push if I wanted to up my dosage every twenty minutes. Once I realized that I was getting closer I pushed the button every twenty minutes.
The nurse checked me around 1:30 and I was 7 centimeters. Around 2:30 I was 8 and then I fell asleep for an hour and when she rechecked me at 3:30 she said, "There she is. Her head is right there and I can see her dark hair!" Jody jumped out of bed and sure enough saw her head. Then the nurse asked me to push a tiny bit to see how much it would take for me to push her out. As I started pushing she quickly told me to stop and not to cough or laugh. The doctor showed up about five minutes later and I seriously pushed two times and she was out! It was the easiest and best labor I have ever had.
Remember how nervous I was for the after labor contractions? Well my nurse hooked me up with pain medication every 3 hours and Ibuprofen every 6 and my contractions were much more bearable.
Rylee was born at 3:45, weighed 7 lbs. 10 oz. and was 19 1/4 inches long. Yes I've had two other children but giving birth is such a miracle. There is nothing like having a baby move and grow in your belly for nine months and then see them in person for the first time. What a blessing it is to have three beautiful, healthy children.
12 comments:
I love that picture of you guys! So adorable - mommy and her daughter. I cannot believe how easy your labor was, but I am so glad!! What a dream. I hope mine is half that easy next time! I cannot wait to meet Rylee and hold her!! I don't think I can wait to Christmas...`
Awwww...you are such a good mom! And I'm SO glad things went well for you and the afterpains weren't as bad as you expected!
I laughed out loud when I read about Jody's nervousness in the middle of the night. Matt was the exact same way. I wasn't sure if I should go yet, but Matt had the kids in the car minutes after I told him I'd been having contractions. Funny husbands!
I can't wait to meet Rylee in a few weeks!
What a fun story! I love the line the nurse told you, not to laugh or cough! How funny!
Rylee looks so cute by you. Can't wait to see her again tomorrow!
Sounds like it was an awessome delivery! She's darling! No worries about sending off the swap stuff...you just had a baby!!! :)
I got chills! I know it sounds so dumb but I really do miss labor- it was the most awesome thing I have ever done in my life! I am also laughing because our stories are very similar-- easy labor must come along with June babies. I will have to plan accordingly for my next! :)
Okay, I am crying. I love hearing (or reading) about labor. I have never nor will ever have a "natural" child birth, that is to say, vaginal. All of my kids have been (and will be) born C-Section. I will never experience child birth through the birth canal like this. What an amazing experience. It was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
So glad you had such a great labor. That picture is so super cute!!
Congratulations Kelly. What a sweet picture. She is so beautiful. What a great delivery. I hope mine turns out to be like yours. :) I hope you guys are all doing well!
Kelly! I'm so glad that you said hi on my blog, and oh my goodness you are such a sweetheart! That was so nice of you to send a thank you card, honestly, just so nice. And you just had a baby! I am super impressed!
So, I think that the Discovery Museum is about an hour away from you. It is such a cute place. It's in Sausalito, just barely over the Golden Gate. You can check out their website at www.badm.org
I'm so excited for your baby girl! I love having girls :) Anna is 3 and Kate is 8 months. They definitely keep me laughing! :)
Hope everything's going well with you guys and your new little one!
Sarah
Kelly, you are a beautiful mama. I'm so glad your labor was so easy and you're doing so well. Don't you just love sleeping with that little body curled up next to you? That is one of my favorite things. We can't wait to see Rylee...I think she looks like you.
I love hearing labor stories! That picture of you and Rylee is so cute... I think she looks like you. What do you and Jody think??
Post a Comment