Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Home Sweet Home


My parents put their house on the market last year and it obviously didn't sell. This summer they put it on again and after not showing it for a whole month someone finally put an offer on it. The realization that they had finally sold their home, for me, was bittersweet. Bitter because I grew up in this house and have almost every childhood memory in it. Sweet because my parents will get to build a brand new, beautiful home next to some of their best friends. What can I say I am a sentimental fool. I had a red Acura in high school that was a hand me down from my brother. Every time I would back down the driveway, after it had rained, cold water would pour down my back from the leak in the sunroof. My dad joked that when I would pull up it sounded like a helicopter was landing in the driveway. You would think that when I finally sold the car I would be ecstatic. But when I saw that little red car pull away from our house I almost cried! Same thing happened when I sold my Honda Accord, but that time I did cry! I was the same way in college. When I would move apartments I would get all sentimental and gooey. Thinking I would never sleep in my room again or eat in the kitchen or go pee on the toilet. Pathetic I know.

So last weekend and this week we have been moving my parents out of their home into a rental that they will live in until their new house is built. At least twice a day I say to my mom, "this is so weird aren't you sad that we'll never be in this house again?" At first she agreed with me but today she said,"actually I am just ready to be done with it." If only I could have that attitude. As the house has become more and more empty and as our voices have begun to echo off the walls I have realized that it isn't the house that makes it a home but the people in it. Luckily those people aren't going anywhere.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

This is fun for me to see the home that Lindsey grew up in (and you of course but since I have never met you...). At least they are not moving to a different town, which would probably be even more traumatic!

Sarie said...

"As the house has become more and more empty and as our voices have begun to echo off the walls I have realized that it isn't the house that makes it a home but the people in it. Luckily those people aren't going anywhere."

Seriously, you almost made me cry. Amen, Kelly.

Lindsey said...

I was so sad when I found out they were moving house! When I think about it empty it just makes me sad again. So many memories...I love the post Kelly, especially the last paragraph.

I totally remember the Acura...and being soaked when we showed up for seminary 20 minutes late. It was SO annoying!

Anonymous said...

I got so teary eyed when I read this and I only went to that house one time!!!!!!!!!
I get wierd about things like that too.
Christi

Community Vision said...

Hey Kelly it's Danielle Carmesin and I am a blogger now, and want you to check out my new site. I am excited for your parents. Grandparents are the best. Talk to you later Danielle

Pam said...

okay, you made me get teary eyed too! I have been fighting the worst ever cold so it has been hard to move and feel so rotten. It may be a blessing in disguise though because it has kept the sad feelings at bay. I just want the move over, the cold over and vacationing in Maui next week to start. I am sure though that I, too, will have those sad feelings when I feel better and all is done. Great memories, great children that's for sure!

The White Way said...

It just doesn't seem real. There were lots of grest memories in that house!