

President Hinckley passed away this evening. It saddens me that most of the world doesn't know who he was and what he accomplished in his 97 years. My feelings are mixed. I felt especially connected to him as our prophet because he was the prophet when I was gaining my own testimony of the gospel. I am sad that I won't hear him speak again but know that he is so very happy to be with his wife.
I'm sure most of you remember the conversation he had with Larry King a few years ago. Some of the topics they discussed especially comfort me at this time.
KING: You lost your wife this year after ...
HINCKLEY: Yes, I did. It was a terrible loss.
KING: How do you - how do you recover from - you were married, what, 67 years.
HINCKLEY: Sixty-seven years. Yes. Feel pretty lonely at times.
KING: How do you get over that, because you've become part of each other, right. You finish each other's sentences.
HINCKLEY: Absolutely. Well, you never get over it. Of course you don't.But the best thing you can do is just keep busy, keep working hard, so you're not dwelling on it all the time. Work is the best antidote for sorrow.
KING: She lived a long life, though.
HINCKLEY: She did. Ninety-two.
KING: She died peacefully?
HINCKLEY: Peacefully and wonderfully. But I miss her so much. She was a great lady
Later in the conversation he spoke of death:
I'm sure most of you remember the conversation he had with Larry King a few years ago. Some of the topics they discussed especially comfort me at this time.
KING: You lost your wife this year after ...
HINCKLEY: Yes, I did. It was a terrible loss.
KING: How do you - how do you recover from - you were married, what, 67 years.
HINCKLEY: Sixty-seven years. Yes. Feel pretty lonely at times.
KING: How do you get over that, because you've become part of each other, right. You finish each other's sentences.
HINCKLEY: Absolutely. Well, you never get over it. Of course you don't.But the best thing you can do is just keep busy, keep working hard, so you're not dwelling on it all the time. Work is the best antidote for sorrow.
KING: She lived a long life, though.
HINCKLEY: She did. Ninety-two.
KING: She died peacefully?
HINCKLEY: Peacefully and wonderfully. But I miss her so much. She was a great lady
Later in the conversation he spoke of death:
KING: What happens when you die?
HINCKLEY: When you die? Well, I'm not fully conversant with that. I haven't passed through that yet.
KING: Well, call me. Knowing you, I'll be there and I'll call you.
(LAUGHTER)
KING: But you do believe that something happens.
HINCKLEY: Oh, of course we do. But we believe that death is a part of an eternal journey, that we lived as spirit children of our father before we came into this life.That we're here in mortality as a part of an eternal living, and that we will go on living after this life, purposefully. And that through the redemption of the Lord Jesus Christ, men will be resurrected. There will come a time of resurrection.And those who walk in obedience may go on to exaltation.
HINCKLEY: When you die? Well, I'm not fully conversant with that. I haven't passed through that yet.
KING: Well, call me. Knowing you, I'll be there and I'll call you.
(LAUGHTER)
KING: But you do believe that something happens.
HINCKLEY: Oh, of course we do. But we believe that death is a part of an eternal journey, that we lived as spirit children of our father before we came into this life.That we're here in mortality as a part of an eternal living, and that we will go on living after this life, purposefully. And that through the redemption of the Lord Jesus Christ, men will be resurrected. There will come a time of resurrection.And those who walk in obedience may go on to exaltation.
I know that he is with his beloved wife again and I feel that he was more than ready. What a wonderful man. I learned so much from him. Every time I listened to him speak, my testimony was strengthened. I will miss his humor and his squeaky voice. His words comforted me in trials. He was humble, witty and loyal. Everything a true prophet should be.
10 comments:
Great post. I felt mixed as well. But I know he is so happy in heaven with his wife. What a reunion that must have been. He lived a long accomplished life. I will miss hearing his words too.
Love the post. He will be missed greatly. He was such a great prophet.
Great quotes. Thanks Kelly.
Great quotes - I loved reading over that. Love that man.
your post is wonderful. He was a great man and we will miss him!
I am so glad you dug that conversation up. I really loved that. I loved him so much and gained my testimony of him as well
I feel the same way as you. He is the prophet that has watched over me while I gained my own testimony and I have grown to love him so much. I will definitely miss hearing him in the future. But I actually smiled when I heard the news because I thought of his reunion with his wife. So wonderful.
That is so sad! That was a great post. Thanks :)
Great post, we will all miss him so much. I felt those same mixed feelings.
I'm so glad you did this post. He was such an amazing man and prophet His example and words will always be with us.
Post a Comment