I had the test taken two weeks ago and thought on and off about it over the last few weeks. Today I called my doctor's office and was relieved to hear the nurse say that the test came out clear. Then I got to thinking what if it hadn't? How do women handle these types of situations when they are already exhausted and hormonal because they are carrying a child who could possibly have a birth defect? I have always felt that if I had a child like this that it would be a special child sent to enrich and better our lives. But if these thoughts became reality would I truly feel like that? Mothers or future mothers what do you think?
After watching a great episode of Grey's last night I walked upstairs to go to bed and stopped in the boys room to watch them sleep. I was filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude to be a mother of these sweet little boys. I stopped and looked at each one and for the millionth time in my life thought how amazing it was that these our my children, that I have been blessed to be their mother. What a wonderful gift I have been given. Now as I reflect upon the things I have just written I realize that no matter what the outcome I would love any of my children just the same and the urgency I feel to protect them and take care of them would be just a strong.
8 comments:
Love the post!! Hearing you talk about the boys and looking at the picture of them made me want to see them and hug them soooo bad!!! Miss and love you all tons!!!
Great post Kelly! That is such a relief. I never heard anything on mine so I am assuming everything is ok. I have a Dr. Appt Wed so we will see. With Hailee on the AFP my hormone levels came out really high and she had cysts on her brain and so we had to go through genetic counsling, a series of high level ultrasounds and about 6 weeks of worry. Obviously everything is ok, but still scary.
Your boys are so cute. Grey's was good last night!
I second all of that. Jake's sister is mentally handicapped and I said to him one time that I thought it would be so hard if your child had a defect. He said that it would not even be close to hard because they would be going straight to heaven and you wouldn't have to stress over them making good decisions. I think he's right. Good post Kelly.
It's wonderful being a mom. There is no better gift and nothing as fulfulling in this world. It's always so sweet to watch them sleep. I did that often when my kids were little.
I never elected to take the test either for the same reasons as you. However, maybe I should have then I might have been better prepared for these teenager defects. : )
I never took the test either, but I could see your reasoning. I think it would be really difficult in the beginning to come to terms with the future of a child's life who was down-syndrome. In the early days it wouldn't matter so much, but thinking of the future would be difficult.
Is that wrong to say?
Like you said in your post, I also think that sometimes when we think of being mothers to children with special needs it seems like it would be so hard to deal with it, but what we don't think about is the innate love we would also have for them. As mothers, most of the time that love gets us through any circumstance and I think it could also blur the reality of what we have to face also.
I didn't take the AFP for the same reason...I just figure you get what you get, and in the end it's meant to be. I can't wait to share in your joys of motherhood! You make me want to cry just knowing how special it is and seeing how cute the boys are...
Beautifully said! I am glad everything came back okay.
I'm so glad to hear everything turned out okay with the test. I got it done with Kaden, but haven't with my other two b/c I've heard of false positives happening quite a bit. I didn't want to worry over nothing, but I also would like to prepare myself for anything that is not the norm. But really, how do you prepare yourself? I like what Sarah said and also second everyone elses opinions.
I love your little boys too! That picture of the three together is just the cutest thing ever!
Post a Comment