Sunday, December 20, 2009

Night in Bethlehem
















Last Saturday night our church had a Night in Bethlehem instead of the usual Christmas party. I wasn't looking forward to it and really wanted the regular party but it ended up being the best Christmas party I've been to. Everyone dressed in biblical attire and the gym was transformed with tents and booths set up with food, games, storytelling and craft making. Everyone brought canned goods when they came and were given shillings to buy things with. Our family had a wonderful time.

Later Jody and and I were Mary and Joseph. We walked through the town looking for a place to stay but as you know nothing was available. With the curtains closed we walked up on stage were the manger was and a friend handed me Tate (Baby Jesus). Then the curtains were opened and the wise man brought gifts and angels sang. After the play the children were able to go on the stage to see Jesus. They ran up there quicker then I've seen them run to see Santa. It was great. Tate loved the attention and fortunately with all the germy kids touching him he didn't get sick. It was such a fun night and it was amazing to see how the kids really got the true meaning of Christmas. Ammon was so proud that we were Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus. He just wished he could have had a part in it too.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

i'm making a mental note of this in case i'm ever in charge of ward activities. it's a great one and i'm sure was fun to play the main characters. love little tatey boy.

Kasey said...

How cute! We did this in our ward in Iowa one year and I thought it was a weird idea too, until I went to it. I wish they'd do it every year. It's pretty cool. Too bad there isn't a part Ammon could have played...this is right up his alley!

So funny that you wrote about the germy kids touching Tate, because I totally cringed when I saw all those random kids hands touching him!

Christi said...

What a neat idea!!

Pam said...

You made a beautiful Mary and Joseph and Tate an adorable baby Jesus-looks so fun!