Since last March I have been following Gracie's story. She is the niece of my friend and old roommate, Tiffany. Gracie was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). They weren't sure if she would ever make it home. Only ten days after she was born it seemed as though they were going to say goodbye to her. But she fought against all odds and eventually was able to go home. Now almost a year later Gracie is going home but not to her earthly home. I have been in tears all day as I think of the pain and absence her parents, siblings and family are feeling. A week ago it seemed that she was going to be given a full life. She received a heart transplant, her body didn't reject the heart it just seems that it wasn't a "good heart." Because her parents are donating some of Gracie's organs they won't be able to hold her and be with her as long as they'd like to. All of this just breaks my heart. You can't help but place yourself in their shoes.
Today as Rylee was her usual self, (driving me crazy) I was grateful. Grateful that I was able to hold her, see her, and smell her. I'm sure Gracie's mom would give anything to be cleaning up her daughter's messes or getting her out of her makeup drawer. I have so many blessings and so much to be grateful for.
Pray for the Gledhill's and cherish your blessings. Like Jody always says, "None of us are exempt."
9 comments:
I'm totally bawling and it's only 8am. This breaks my heart and is something I've been thinking a lot about lately (the health of my girls). I feel so blessed and just plain lucky that they are healthy.
I hope this family will be comforted during this time. They seem pretty amazing to be donating her organs to help others even in this very difficult time.
That is so sad. Its hard to remember when your kids are running around and acting up how much you love them. Thanks for this Kel, I needed the reminder. My prayers are with this family!
That is so true. None of us are exempt. I feel so badly for the Gledhill's having lost a child myself. It's so hard to say goodbye (and your post put me into some serious crying... and remembering) but the only thing I can say, is that it takes time to heal. She is with her most beloved Father in Heaven and while her little life on earth was a challenge and difficult she is most happy now. I am thankful for that knowledge, it's the only way I made it through.
I think I will give each of my children an extra hug or two today. Thanks Kelly for your words.
This story sure got me bawling last night when you told me about Gracie. So, so sad. My heart goes out to her family. They sound amazing!
I can't even think about them without tearing up.
I haven't been keeping up to date on her story and this makes me so sad. I had no idea. We do need to cherish every moment good or bad with our children.
I remember you telling me about her. That is so sad. She looks adorable. Something like this sure puts life in perspective, doesn't it? We worry about the economy but really, our health is the most priceless thing we have other than our faith.
I have been keeping up with her since the beginning and this is just so sad. But if anything it puts my life into perspective.
Such a sad story but thank you so much for posting this. I am in tears thinking about this poor family (relieved for that poor baby who is now out of pain, but so incredibly sad for the pain the family is now going through). Thank you for reminding me what is important. ps. your family gets cuter!
oh, that is heartbreaking. truly heartbeaking. I can't even imagine. She is an adorable little girl.
Post a Comment