This is the first of a few posts I plan to do about this subject. I feel very strongly about this issue. Last night I was able to attend a Fireside at the church which discussed Proposition 8. It left me feeling inspired to put in my full effort. Yes, as a family we've polled people in our neighborhood by knocking on doors and recording information and we've donated a small amount of money to protectmarriage.org but we can do more. Last night we were asked by the general presidency of our church to give 4 hours a week to this issue, to "Go Viral" (meaning blog, text, facebook) and to get out there and talk about it with everyone. Maybe this is why I've never gone private as a blogger. Whether you are a member of the LDS church or not, if you believe as I do, we need your help!
So let's start with the basics. Some of you may be saying to yourself, " Prop 8, now what's that one about?"
Proposition 8 is simple and straightforward. It contains the same 14 words that were previously approved in 2000 by over 61% of California voters: “Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.” Because four activist judges in San Francisco wrongly overturned the people’s vote, we need to pass this measure as a constitutional amendment to restore the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman. Voting YES on Proposition 8 does 3 simple things:
It restores the definition of marriage to what the vast majority of California voters already approved and what Californians agree should be supported, not undermined.
It overturns the outrageous decision of four activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people.
It protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage, and prevents other consequences to Californians who will be forced to not just be tolerant of gay lifestyles, but face mandatory compliance regardless of their personal beliefs.
Check out the sidebar to the right for more information.
That's it for now but I will be hitting on this issue a lot for the next month.
6 comments:
Way to go Kelly! I agree with you 100%. It is scary how fast our world is changing-in a very bad way.
Great post. My friend Jenny, who is private, and lives in Utah, posted about this a few weeks ago - asking all her friends in CA to learn more about it and vote yes for it.
You are great for getting this post out there and doing your part.
(and thanks for the second comment, I was searching my mind for who's husband's name was Joseph - I didn't think about you guys!)
I wanna post a poster thing like you did, How do you do it???
Way to go viral ;-). I hope and pray voters in your state make the right choice. It will just spiral out to other states if Prop 8 doesn't pass
I pray that prop 8 passes for our children and for us
Thanks for the inspiration this morning. My husband and I had a LONG discussion about this last night. We're both on the YES side--we were just discussing the ramifications of not passing Prop 8. I will definitely look forward to reading more about this in the next few weeks!
(P.S. I found your blog through Kristin Hansen's.)
Post a Comment