As I've gone out and polled for Proposition 8 I've learned that most people don't think same-sex marriages will affect them. Some feel that they don't have the right to choose whether people of the same-sex should or shouldn't be allowed to get married. Personally I don't care what others want to do until it affects me and most importantly my children. I've been criticized for worrying too much about the way two people love each other when some feel there are more important issues to worry about.
Let me just say that I am a mother. As a mother my most important concern is my children. Ammon is five years old. If this proposition does not pass there is a good chance that he could learn about gay and lesbian couples in school. Of course down the road he is going to learn one way or another but now is not the right time. I want to keep his innocence as long as possible and when the time is right Jody and I will be the ones to teach about such issues.
If you're not sure how this prop or if it will affect you. Please watch this clip.
5 comments:
Thanks for the video Kelly. I think you are great for posting and speaking out about this. Way to go! Wade and I were talking about this just the other day, about how Gage will possibly be in school with kids who have 2 moms or 2 dads. It scares me what he can be taught in school about this -
There is an Elmo's world that I've seen with them a couple times that has a song that says "A family is anyone who lives together and loves each other." I know they don't show two moms or two dads in the video clip, they are more directing it to grandparnts, aunts and uncles, but I know this is most likely what the writers had in mind. It really bothers me. Each time we see it I have to ask Gage what a family is and have a discussion about it.
I really love that you are doing your part. I might post about this and link your blog if you don't mind.
Kelly, I admire you for standing up for what you believe in. I wish I was in CA to vote YES. This prop really has so many consequences, some we may not even know about right now.
I want to teach my children about these sensitive issues MYSELF and when the time is right. Hmmm... if we end up moving to CA maybe I'll homeschool. Ha! Yeah right. (by the way, we are thinking CA!!)
Sorry Kelly, that comment was from me, Christen. ;)
the clip isn't working for me.
Didn't work for me either, but I watched a video on mom's blog that I'm assuming is probably the same one about kindergartners being taught about same sex marriage and the schools saying parents don't need to be informed about it so they can opt their children out. That's crazy! Good luck in California. I'll for sure be glued to the TV that night to see how this turns out.
Post a Comment