Biden’s appearance on the Ellen show had been widely publicized for much of the past week, and both he and Obama have said that they would not support a same-sex marriage.
This is where he changed his stance on the issue.
Biden reminded the audience that both he and Obama had both opposed Bush’s proposed Federal Marriage Amendment on a national level, which would have defined marriage as being between a man and a woman.
“I think it’s regressive, I think it’s unfair, and so I’d vote no,” he said.
This is frustrating to me because during the vice presidential debate on October 8th, when asked this same question:
Let's try to avoid nuance, Senator. Do you support gay marriage?
"No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be able to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it."
It's disturbing. If the republican nominees had changed their stance on a major issue, people would have been in uproar. What do you think? Dem's or Repub's I want to hear from you!
21 comments:
Kelly,
These presidential candidates change their minds faster than anything I've ever seen. I am so disgusted with the choice we have for president I don't even want to vote because it is like voting for the worst of two evils. I don't think any of them would really vote yes on 8. They to me are a bunch of big LIARS and CHEATS I don't know what do, even though I will definitly vote yes on 8!!!!
BLAH! I can't believe this and yet I can TOTALLY believe this. I really wish I could vote in CA this year.
I think what really bugs me the most is that the media has totally ignored his flip on this issue whereas they would have jumped right on it if a conservative had done the same!!
I totally agree. I can barely watch all this anymore. There is so much bias toward the left that it is really disturbing. Why are they not focusing on this instead of Sarah Palin's clothes o McCain's age? So much for journalists leaving their personal agendas at the door.
If he changes his stance to fit the stage he is on then is has no backbone and deceives both sides because no one can trust him. and this guy could be President of the most powerful nation in the world! Scary if you ask me.
People are in an uproar, but the media doesn't give them a voice because they want an Obama/Biden presidency.
They've dug deeper into Joe the Plumber's past than they have Obama's associations with Rezko, Ayers, Dorn, that Preacher guy etc.
My advice... sit back and enjoy watching the constitution being ripped to shreds.
The Political/Media makeout-fest is making me vomit. These people are such a JOKE the way they just want to butt kiss.
I'm Christen's sister in law and I just wrote a new blog about the Economy and Gay marriage- so this is so funny that I just saw this on your blog.
please check it out at
www.marriagelogic.blogspot.com and tell me what you think.
I take it your a Republican. That's rare in Cali.
That's ok I am a huge Democrat and thats rare in Kentucky.
political candidates change their minds all the time...which is horrible. I do recall watching McCain on Ellen sticking to his guns...you could tell he was nervous especially because Ellen is gay, but I was happy that he stood his ground.
I am leaning towards Obama for multiple reasons, however, the more research I do the more I just want to flip a coin! :) Both of them are far....FAR from the ideal.
ps. whether democrat or republican doesn't matter much to me.... I vote for whomever I feel would be the better candidate (in this case the lesser of two evils).
Also, being a democrat or republican has nothing to do with proposition 8 in my opinion. We are ALL human beings and as such voting YES should be obvious...the family is the basic unit of society. With out a man and a women we wouldn't have families or humans for that matter. Imagine the horrible snow balling effect of negative consequences if NO on 8 does in fact happen...
Christi-
Thats the thing. I don't consider myself a Republican. I didn't vote this year because neither Obama or McCain represent me.
Props to those voting for the Lesser Evil. Because that's what it's really come down to.
Props also on understanding this has nothing to do with Party lines. But as a YES on 8 supporter I am frustrated with Bidens representation that Democrats are for a no vote.
It's awesome to read everyone's comments and know there are people out there who feel like me. It's scary thinking about our country's future being led by either of these two men. I feel like saying to everyone "hold on tight." Our country is in for it!
Kel does this not show how one side the media is. If this was MCCain and Palin they would have been hammered about flip flopping on issues. I just wish we had a canidate who would stand up and really say what he truelly is going to do not what people are telling him to promise and never plan on actually following through. And as for prop 8 stand for what you believe in and don't back down! Yes on prop 8!!!!!
I use to likr watching Ellen, but now I cant stand her, she grosses me out.
They all just wanna say what everyone else wnats to hear, They dont know what they believe.
Kelly, I love reading your blogs. I enjoy hearing educated opinions on life. This election is a difficult one this year. I have studied everyone's stance on the issues more than I ever have in the past, and I too am really having a hard time. I had looked for a very clear stance regarding marriage, but everything I had seen had been rather vague, leading me to believe that he was for equal rights only, not changing the definition of marriage. I just recently found something that is pretty clear, on Obama's website http://pride.barackobama.com/page/content/lgbthome
then go to "Obama on the Issues". It's interesting. Like Kinsey said.."hold on tight!"
Another thing to keep me up at night getting frustrated over! Seriously all the country knows how much Sarah Palin spends on suits yet this will not even make it on the news.
I don't understand why people say the lesser of 2 evils. McCain has served the country and is an honest moral person, not perfect but who is. Palin has taken on both parties and has taken a stand for families and accountability in gov. Biden has no problem lying to fit whatever stand he happens to be on, Obama is a Socialist,smooth talker and has made so many promises he will never sort them out if he gets in office. for me the choice is easy. Kelly onece again, you are a great american!
The comment was for Kelly and not at all ment to offend. I was just making a comment.
Ugh. I just can't wait for this all to be OVER! Even though I have to say I'm a little scared of what might happen. It seems like the election season gets worse every time and I'm SO sick of the knit-picking the media does with Republicans and simply ignoring the HUGE glaring things Dems do that seem like such an obvious thing to go after. Such as this one. No one is perfect, but geesh. Kind of a major thing to change your mind on in a matter of weeks, don't ya think? Thanks Kel! Dad cracks me up, but it's true. You are a great American! he-he
I am so ready for Nov 4 and the election to be over with.
I agree that it's unfortunate he's changed his stance on this issue. Sadly, all politicans do this to fit the mold of their party. I think we should do away with parties... Having only two choices for an American president is really lame.
That said, everyone is talking about the liberal media bias. There is bias in every media, sometimes liberal, sometimes conservative. They report what they want to report and skew the news. But to say it's all liberal is not something I agree with. What about Fox news? If Fox is all I watched I would for sure be against Obama then. (not saying all you watch is Fox, but there are many people who do.)
Umm... I think you need to educate yourself on the issues and what Biden is clearly stating. He and Obama both believe that they should not tell EVERY single church how they want to define marriage, he thinks it should be left up to that particular church. HOWEVER, they would not support any such explicit ban on gay marriage as a constitutional amendment. So it's not that they are against gay marriage, they just don't want to give a specific definition to every faith. Get it? Got it? GOOD.
Do yourself a favor and educate yourself before you make decisions.
Post a Comment