Thursday, May 15, 2008

heat wave

It is 8:35 a.m. and it's already 85 degrees outside! With no a/c I'm about to lose it. Actually I'm handling it okay but I feel bad for the kids. We've got fans going all over the house. People in Sonoma County are insane. They think because it cools down at night they don't need a/c. Seriously, if you talk to anyone from here they are convinced that it's unnecessary. It usually does cool down at night but by 5 o'clock in the afternoon it's pretty miserable until the sun starts going down. Last night was ridiculous. It did not cool down. So we are starting the day out with a warm house. If it were mine I would be putting a/c in today! It's suppose to reach 100 degrees before the days over. Insane I tell you. This house is only two years old!

To go along with the ridiculous weather the ants decided to join us again. They come in whenever it gets hot outside. I mentioned to Jody that we should spray before they started getting in the house but we hadn't gotten to it yet. After one attack this morning in the kitchen we have learned our lesson! I'm sweating it out in here spraying the rest of the house down but I will conquer the ants.

I thought about driving to my parents but Jody said the amount I spend in gas could be used to get a hotel tonight. So we may go that route and then we could make a horrible day a fun one. Let the kids swim, go out to eat and relax. Sounds good to me.

I would love the heat if only we had air conditioning and maybe a pool. The good news is that it should be better by tomorrow evening. Alex picked a good time to go visit Kasey.

13 comments:

Aubree said...

Ew no AC! That totally stinks. But I like the hotel idea. I can't believe it is already in the 100s.

the kings said...

Good luck with your heat filled day! I can't believe the homes don't have a/c!? What's that about? Anyway - your pictures of Rylee are so beautiful! Your sister really does such a nice job (she had great subject matter too or course!).

...you know if it's cooler weather you seek you are always welcome in Wisconsin! While we don't recommend visiting in January, it's quite nice at the moment. People are all excited around here because it has gotten up to seventy a time or two! :)

Jami said...

It is ridiculous. Why wouldn't you have a/c? Those people are nuts. Mine was on 80 and already started at 7:30 this morning. Good luck. Wish we were closer and you could crash here, but a hotel sounds fun for the kids.

Debbi said...

That is so sad! My sister teaches school in oakland and when I talked to her this morning she was really worried - her room at school has no AC and she has to stay there all night for parents night and she doens't have AC at home either - she is such a warm blooded person anyway and has fans on no matter what so I bet she is dying now! I hope it cools down soon for all of you!

Kasey said...

Poor you! Sounds miserable to be dealing with the heat AND ants. I hate those things! Wish you were still here. We miss you!

kh said...

Ah Kelly! I am so sorry! It's getting warmer here, but we do have A/C. (Sorry, I hate to even say that.) BUT I can TOTALLY relate to you about all the ANTS we have had too! Finally after keeping my kitchen SPOTLESS (that's where they were headed) for about 2 weeks, I think they gave up. OR it could be that I sprayed all over my floors and mop boards so maybe they just died of the contamination. Who knows, who cares, they are gone and I am singing praises!

Good luck! Drink LOTS of iced water and walk around naked, that might help! JK! :0)

Julie said...

That really stinks! We're feeling the heat wave here, but we at least have the coastal breeze coming through every now and then. You should check into getting one of those portable air conditioners (you can buy them at Costco). David's parents have one for their office and it works great. Good luck staying cool!

Pam said...

Dang! I wish you would have come here-I miss all of you! Hot today here too, in the 90's but we love it!! I don't want it to cool off here.

Rylee's pictures are to die for! Simply adorable They make me want to reach out and grab her.

Alex and Mitch said...

oh my gosh....that is crazy!! i hope it isnt like that when i get back!!!

Lindsey said...

Wow, kel. That is miserable when you have no way to cool down!! How long is it supposed to stay that way? I think you should spend one night at a hotel with a pool. That would be so fun for the boys and would be SO NICE for you!

Celeste said...

Oh yucky! I can't even imagine being inside when it's that hot... crazy Sanoma people. I think a hotel sounds like a great idea!

Sarie said...

I hate the heat! I would die, florida is so stinking hot all the time, I would die even spending one day in this house without AC. we have it running around the clock. Hope things have cooled down!!

Robs said...

That is horrible. I'm so sorry that you don't have AC. What a nightmare! There is NO WAY you can go the whole summer without AC--you'll go crazy. It was so fun meeting you while you were visiting Kasey! I wish you were still here. You were so fun to hang out with! Good luck with the AC issue!