
When should you stop letting your kids see you naked? It seems like Jody has been on my case about this ever since I gave birth to Ammon. Ammon never says anything about us having different body parts and doesn't even notice when I am dressed or not. I wasn't planning on stopping this anytime soon until today. I was getting dressed and Ammon said,"Mommy my bum is not big like yours. My bum is little. Why is your bum bigger?" I just had to laugh! Now I realize that I didn't even answer him. If I am going to start getting these questions from him on a regular basis I will definitely be changing behind closed doors!
Recently my cousin Kadi posted on her blog about being bored. I have to second everything she said. Lately I just don't know what to do with myself. Yes my kids keep me busy with cleaning, bathing, changing and cooking. But they are both at the ages where they can start entertaining themselves. Cohen still takes two good naps everyday and goes to bed by 7:30. Ammon is the easiest kid and goes to preschool 4 days a week for close to 3 hours. So after I feed them breakfast, bath and dress them, and put Cohen down for his nap I have about two hours of free time. I usually clean for the first hour and the second hour I am reading blogs, talking on the phone, reading magazines or doing some other random thing. When Ammon goes to preschool I am once again putting Cohen down for a nap and have another two hours of free time. I know most of you are saying how do you have free time with two kids? What are you complaining about? But I just need something to do! I can't stand to stay home all day and I don't have money to be out shopping all day. If I had my own home I could spend the day decorating. Because of the recent boredom I have made attempts to clean out closets and reorganize things. I also have been going through cooking magazines and pulling out recipes I want to try. My next plan is to go through all of our clothes and put them on ebay. I could scrapbook, which I enjoy doing, but it is so hard to get everything out. Any ideas? I would love to take a photography or pottery class but I live in an area that doesn't have much to offer. I never thought that I would be counting down the days to go to Enrichment Night, story time with friends, Halloween parties at the church, birthday parties, and the list goes on and on! I long for having things to be at or go to. Don't get me wrong I love my life and being able to stay home with my kids but sometimes I just need something to break up the monotonous routines.

This crazy picture was taken when Alex left for college. I am suppose to be sad but I really just look insane. Ammon took the picture above.
17 comments:
Those are both funny pictures. I work full time and even I get bored sometimes! At night I go to the gym and watch a lot of tv. I also get excited about Relief Society things or showers to get together with people. Mostly I think this boredom is because I don't have many friends around. But also I kind of like to have downtime to do nothing. Sometimes I tell myself I will start freelancing or writing in my free time. But I end up spending most of it on blogs!
Can't help ya, Kellbell...all I do is clean and be sick lately. You could start watching sodapoppers and eat bonbons...what do you think? I vote for scrapbooking because you have so many cute pictures! miss you!
I get bored sometimes when I am home from school, but I always clean something out. I am so busy all the time that I just enjoy being bored. I don't know when you should stop letting your kids see you naked... It's a hard one...I guess you'll just know..Hopefully!
Enjoy the free time!! I, of course, have many hours in the day without my kids but so many of those free hours are spent doing things for the coming hours that I will be with them. I use to feel like you do...like I wanted to fill all my time doing this and that. Now, I AM ALWAYS having to do this or that, so I LOVE being bored. I wish I could be bored everyday, as a matter of fact. You will be there before you know it so I say ENJOY!
You should do a couple of scrapbooking pages and start submitting them to magazines, Creating Keepsakes, etc. That would be kind of fun. There's good ideas on www.twopeasinabucket.com Sometimes I go to thrift stores and buy old books and sell them on eBay.
Sometimes I whiten my teeth. Or paint my toenails. Or paint Grace's. I think the worst is when you have tons of time on your hands and not much money. That's the WORST. Cause you can't buy chocolate! (the ultimate entertainment)
oh, another idea: post funny pictures of yourself.
I think you are crazy!
oh, another idea: get a myspace profile. That's what I do when I get bored (which I never am lately).
Well next week I'm off so we can plan some fun things-want to go to Ikea? I remember feeling the same way and still do occassionally but don't worry, it passes and pretty soon you are longing for some free time again!
I think Sarah's comment about whitening your teeth is the funniest suggestion yet! I read books - which I can do with Gage around, but nesting has kicked in and I have so many projects I want to finish in the next 4 weeks it's disturbing!
I second Jen's comment. Enjoy it while it last. Before long, particularly if you have more children, you will fantasize about being bored.
As far as being undressed in front of your children, we were always very private in our house growing up so it would be natural for Jody to get on you about that. However, I have found, of course with my girls, it isn't a big deal, but with Andrew, he started at a relatively young age removing himself from the room if I started to undress. So he did it on his own. In fact just this morning, he was in my room and I said, " Mom is about to get naked so if you don't want to see it, you need to leave the room". He shot out of the room quickly and said, "no thank you, I don't want to be sick for the rest of my life".
come to London. I will make sure you are busy!
I have to comment on Julie's comment. We were all very private at our house growing up...although, I do remember Jody being the least so. Infact, he was often walking about the house in just his undies. I think because you come from a family of mostly girls and I have mostly girls, it is exactly as Julie said..it's no big deal. As Chandler has gotten older, I have to remind them to be a little more modest, which they are. You just kind of know when it's time because they will say something to you just like Ammon said and you realize they aren't babies anymore. But don't kid yourself...you will never have privacy in a bathroom until they are gone out of the house.
Have a baby :) Thats the crazy thing I'm going to do to fill my time. Do you have tivo? That's another thing that keeps me busy. But the baby thing, I'm actually doing that so we can be done and I can move on to the boredom stage :) Can't wait!
I did leave a message the other day but for some reason it didn't show up. Those pictures of you are hilarious. I love the ones that the kids take. As for the nakedness...it's so hard to say. I think that the time has come for Chris to cover up around Madison but that is because she is so interested in body parts. I always catch her sneaking a peek. AHHHHH I am so not ready for this kind of stuff!
how about volunteering? But I suppose you don't have that much time on your hands... It seems like there would be some class that you could take. Photography would be so much fun! Oh and my final suggestion is to come down to Vacaville and San Francisco for a visit!!
Kellie,
Thank you for backing me up! Sometimes even with kids, there is just too much down time. My mother-in-law started sending me job suggestions! I don't know if I am ready for that but I did start cleaning out closets and reorganizing my basement. I am slowly starting to get some names together to start Sean's family history. And I've been thinking that I should rejoin the YMCA. It would give Jett and I a chance to get out. good luck!
Post a Comment