Monday, June 23, 2008

The BIG five

I love this face. I love those twinkly eyes. This is a special boy. Loving, caring, funny, a little obsessive, imaginative, and kind-hearted. He has the best memory. At times he'll bring up memories he has of things that happened when he was two. He doesn't forget anything. He still talks about leprechauns from St. Patricks day three months ago. What a singer, not the next American Idol by any means, but he is always singing and performing. I die laughing when he starts a sentence with actually or you've got to be kidding me or when he says very seriously in his prayers, not to let Grandma and Grandpa get eaten by the wolves. I love that he will still hold my hand, snuggle with me and tell me he wants to give me smooches. I love that he told Alex when we went on our trip to Mexico that he really missed his mom and when she said she missed me too he said, "But she's MY mom and I need her." It breaks my heart that he cries when he leaves his Grandma and Grandpa's house or when they leave ours. I'm not talking a few tears. This is a full on melt down and it goes on for a day or two, on and off. He is a cool kid. He can sing the song regulator's with his dad even though he's never heard the real version of it. It's hilarious when he starts a sentence off to his dad with, dude. He is such a cool dude.

Today was a special day. We had pancakes for breakfast. Looked at pictures of Ammon as a baby and told stories of his birth and earlier years. We went to McDonald's for lunch (just he and I) and then his dad took he and Cohen to Kung Fu Panda. Per his request, we had steak for dinner and rice krispy treats for dessert. And right now he is sleepy right between Jody and I. It's his birthday and he's king for the day. So we do whatever he wants.

This was his big birthday present this year. It's perfect. Only eight feet wide and a few feet off the ground. The boys love it. Jody couldn't wait to let Ammon see it and so we let them go on it last night. We woke up this morning to two little boys giggling and running down the stairs, and out the backyard to jump.
Most of our family called to wish him a happy birthday today. Unfortunately he was a little involved in a movie he was watching and didn't give much time to talk. When Alex called he said, "Okay but can she just say one thing?" Then after a few minutes he looked at me and said, "I'm done now." Sorry guys you know how Ammon gets when he's watching something.


Cohen's hair is getting longer and his poor little nose is healing. The other day I caught him "peeling the paper off of it." Ouch!

The three cutest five year olds at the party (and best behaved) on Saturday.

Obviously Cohen ate everything because it's all still on his face.

It was a hot weekend. We had the kids eat in the garage to be out of the sun for a while.

Can you tell that he's embarrassed? I love that expression.
This is a long post. But I just want to remember these things for the future! Ammon and I made a list of his favorite things.
  • Song: What time is it? Summer time. (Not actually sure what the name of it is but High School Musical
  • Movie: Power Rangers
  • Food: pancakes, steak, chocolate chip cookies
  • Snack: Animal cookies
  • Favorite Friend: Without hesitation, Alexis (White) followed by Jake and Brayden
  • Color: orange
  • Candy: starburst, skittles
  • Toy: Ninja Turtle numb chucks (spelling?)
  • Holiday: Halloween (get to dress up and get candy)
  • Animal: cheetah, leopard
  • Character: Power Ranger
  • TV show: Bindi The Jungle Girl (watched for the first time today)
  • Favorite thing to do: go to the movie with daddy
  • Favorite thing to do with mommy: Go to Marine World
  • Favorite thing to do with Grandpa: Hunt for gophers
  • Favorite thing to do with Grandma: zoo, Trinity Lake, dollar store
  • Favorite thing to do with Grandad: play with him
  • Favorite thing to do with Grandmom: play the three bears and read books

At five Ammon:

  • rides his bike with no training wheels (has been for a year now).
  • writes his name
  • knows most of his letters
  • knows most of his numbers
  • still takes a good afternoon nap!
  • has to have a story told to him every nap time and night time
  • would, if I let him, watch TV all day long
  • is learning the sounds each letter in the alphabet makes
  • can't wait to be bigger so he can go anywhere and do anything he wants
  • loves his baby sister
  • gets upset if you leave the house without giving a hug and kiss
  • often wants multiple hugs and kisses at bedtime
  • enjoys riding his jeep
  • wants me to have more brothers and sisters for him (not anytime soon)
  • loves to surprise us after he cleans his room
  • LOVES going to the park with his dad and going on young men campouts

I never could have dreamed that the little baby I held in my arms five years ago would be such a wonderful person now. I am so lucky. The world is so lucky to have Ammon in it.

15 comments:

Lindsey said...

Love this post! Ammon is the coolest and I love how from pretty much day 1 he has loved dressing up and performing. I can't believe he is 5! Oh, and I called him and wished him happy bday on Saturday during his party, because that is when I thought his real bday was (when I asked dad, he confirmed it...). So fun they have a trampoline now! Great post, Kel! Give Ammon a big smooch from me.

Debbi said...

Happy Birthday to Ammon! What a great post, you are such a great mom!

Sarie said...

Thanks for writing all that. I read every word and it reminds me so much of my little Gracie. Ammon is such a boy, though. Everything is all about being a boy! Except that he's so affectionate to you and loves you so much. Can't wait to have my boy some day.

Celeste said...

Ammon is such a cute kid... I'd love to see a post with a video of him sining regulators! :) What a great birthday gift... those boys are going to love it! ... You are such a cute mom... your kids are lucky to have you.

Janelle said...

I can't believe he is 5 years old. He is so cute. I love the picture of him getting embarrased. In The picture of you and him at the top you look so much like Alex I had to do a double take.

Alex and Mitch said...

Such a sweet little boy and so cool too! Such a good post Kell! He really is such an awesome little boy! I still love him even though he only wanted to talk to me for 2 seconds last night!

Julie said...

So cute! Ammon and Jonah are SO much alike - they'd get along great! Happy B-day Ammon!

chrissy said...

Kel Ammon is getting so big I can't believe he is 5. Wish him a happy Birthday from the Johnson Clan. Hope to see at the lake for the 4th of July

The White Way said...

He is sooo cute!!! I can't believe that they are getting so old. It just seems like yesturday that we had them. Can't wait to see you guys at the Lake.

Christen said...

What a little sweetheart. I love everything you wrote about him... and I think he definitely has his mommy's twinkly eyes!

Pam said...

Ammon is a great kid. I was his kung fu punching bag all weekend. We wrestled, had sword fights,played hide and seek and went on a long walk. Never a dull moment with him great post KB. I love that kid.
Gramps

Pam said...

He is a special gift, so tender hearted and loving. Love your post and love that little boy-sooooo much! And you are a wonderful mom to him!

Jami said...

love every word. we are definitely lucky to have this amazing, sweet and funny boy! Can't wait to hear about Linds!

Lani said...

great post kel. He sure is an adorable little boy! Happy BIrthday Ammon!

Kasey said...

Happy Birthday Ammon! What I cute post. I loved reading it all. I was cracking up when I read about his prayers that Grandma and Grandpa don't get eaten by wolves. What's that about?! He is hilarious. Love you Ammo!