Thursday, February 21, 2013
London
This past Fall I finally made it out to London. I had been trying to go for the last few years but each time I had to put it on hold for kids, money, or other trips. Finally I told Jody I was going in the Fall and nothing would stop me! My kids were almost all in school full time or at least part of the day and there were no babies in the house so I needed to jump at the chance and go.
Lindsey has lived in London ever since she married Alan. Jasper, their third baby was born in August and I was anxious to see him, see Lindsey's life and spend time with her kids without being interrupted by my own. I flew out on a Friday and came home on a Sunday.
Lindsey and Alan were amazing hosts. Lindsey was still very sleep deprived but every morning she was up and ready to take me to see the city. She is quite an amazing tour guide.
We spent a few of our days touring the city. Lindsey, our mom and I went and did a three week tour of Europe in the Summer of 2001 with our grandparents. We started that tour in London. So I had been there before but it had been 11 years and I was anxious to see it again with more respect and maturity to appreciate it more completely.
Lindsey met me at the airport when I arrived Saturday morning. I can't even describe how fun it was to have her sneak up on me and surprise me with a apple juice and croissant in hand. We had been talking about and planning my vacation for months and to see her standing there was thrilling. We road the train to Paddington and then took the tube to her home. It was surreal to think that was her life. That my little sister lived in this big city getting around by way of tube, train and automobile (driving on the opposite side of the road). When we got off the tube we walked to her home. To say I love her neighborhood is an understatement. It's absolutely gorgeous. We went on a walk one evening around her neighborhood and I couldn't stop oohing and awing. I can see why she lives there.
Alan and Lindsey got me out right away when I first got there. It was midnight at my house and as hard as I tried I wasn't able to fall asleep on the flight over. Oh and speaking of the flight? It was empty! There were only 50 people on the plane. There were rows and rows of empty seats. It was amazing! The Phillips took me to the Eye of London that morning. Lindsey had free tickets through her blog. The kids loved it and it was great to see all of London. We were in the heart of Big Ben and Parliament.
We walked and took in the fresh air. I was feeling pretty good. Izzy warmed up to me right away and we became quick bff's. She was holding my hand and talking to me everywhere we went. I loved every minute of it! She is the wittiest 6 year old girl I know. We took in St. Paul's Cathedral from afar and then went to lunch at a delicious restaurant called Vapiano. I started feeling a little tired at the point but Alan and Lindsey insisted we carry on! So we walked some more and ended up at Borough Market. The market was bustling but I loved it. The open markets, so much color, and delicious food. It was there that I tried my first bite of Salted Caramel Fudge and instantly was addicted. I miss it. :( We left the market dodging rain and headed back to the flat. Then Lindsey took me to my first London grocery shopping trip at Waitrose. It was busy and the underground parking garage was a nightmare to park in but it was exciting! It was funny to see many American brand foods but in different packaging. And I loved the way her store packaged the produce. My favorite part was the candy aisle. Seeing all of the chocolate Lindsey always brought to my house was heavenly. I spent a lot of money on candy and chocolate. It filled my suitcase. I went to bed around nine o'clock that night and slept until 7. Because I stayed up that first day I never had a problem sleeping at night.
Sunday was a nice relaxing day of church and walks around the neighborhood. Monday we took the kids to school. Lindsey is able to get a lot of exercise living in London. She often walks the kids to school which isn't too far but far enough that you've got to plan your morning out well to be there on time. The walk to school was breathtaking. Beautiful homes.
The next few days we toured London. Lindsey showed me all of her favorite spots and shopping places. We ate delicious food at Gail's, had a fun afternoon tea, ate macaroon's at Laduree (I'm in love), had delicious crepes, loved Nando's chicken and fries, Jamie Oliver's Recipease and his small cafe at the outlets. Hmmm... what else Linds? All I know is that I ate a lot of good food. Plus Lindsey cooked some great meals as well.
I loved seeing the kids school. Baking with Isobel and meeting her friend Anushka (spelling?), seeing the silly side of Oliver and snuggling with Jasper. He was the best baby! We took him everywhere with us and he was amazing. Just ate and slept.
One of my favorite days was going to Blenheim Palace. Lindsey hadn't been and Alan suggested we go. It was a great suggestion and I was in awe the entire time. It was exactly what I expected an English Palace, in the country, to look like. After touring the palace we drove through the Cotswolds. That whole day was breathtaking. I loved every second and ate it all up! I can see why it's Lindsey and Alan's favorite place to go for the day. We enjoyed quaint shops and amazing countryside scenery. I can't wait to go again! It was dreamy. After the Cotswolds we stopped at the outlets to do a little shopping and then drove back to the city.
It makes me sad how quickly the whole trip went. When I think back to October it seems like ages ago! I had the greatest time with Lindsey and her family. I love that when I talk to her and she's out and about I can picture where she is and what she's doing.
London is such fun city full of history and culture. I can see why they call it home. Did I miss anything Linds?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



.jpg)


















5 comments:
Reading this post made me so jealous! It also made me remember my trip there. I want to go back so badly! One of these days....
Oh my gosh, i'm almost crying because i had such a great time with you and i miss you SO stinking much! get your buns back here girl!!! It was SO SO SO fun to have you here. i have to say, you covered this pretty great especially considering it was several months ago. MISS YOU and LOVE YOU!!!!!
I loved reading this! London is remarkable and I am envious that she lives there and I haven't even met her, ha!
It sounds like the best trip. Love, love your pictures!
glad to see you're back, girl! I just saw your update on my blogger page! Loved reading these new posts. I may have to follow in your footsteps-it's been a year for me, too! Kids are getting so big and cute. Love Tate saying you're best friends...and your trip makes me miss Linds!...and YOU!
I am so happy you are back to blogging - although when I pulled this post up, the only thing I saw was the title, 'London' and a picture of a baby boy and I really thought you had had another baby and called him London!!! ;o) What a fun trip - your sister (who I saw this past Wednesday) is the absolute best! So glad you had a fun time!
Post a Comment