Sunday, January 30, 2011

Georgia- Wild Animal Safari


Gearing up for the big adventure. 


 I had to get a picture of how funny the animals looked following the cars.






We went to Georgia the day after Christmas. I love going there. It's the place I really relax and just have fun. The kids play with the older cousins and we get to just sit and talk with the other adults. 

Most of our time was spent hanging out with our family there. But one day Larry had the idea to drive to the Wild Animal Safari a few hours away.  We didn't tell the kids where we were going until we got there.  When they saw the signs and the animals they were so excited.  We rented a huge passenger van that had bars that went across the opening where windows would normally be.  When we drove into the park I was not expecting the animals to literally attack the van.  We had food that we purchased to feed them.  They were sticking there heads into the vans as far as they could and then running their tongues along the bars.  I was dieing laughing the whole time.  And the kids? I think they were speechless.

The whole drive through the park took about 45 minutes. There were elk, water buffalo, deer, pigs, zebra's, giraffe, bulls, cows, llama's, sheep, ostrich's, Camel's and goats.  Then there was also a few fenced areas that held a rhino, and a liger. Whenever they saw us coming the animals would come running for food.

So after driving through the beginning we noticed the giraffe's were not out when we drove by their fence.  So we went back through.  This time the giraffe's were out and sticking there heads right up to the opening in the windows so that we could feed them.  They were getting their heads further and further into the van and I moved to get out of their way and poor Cohen was alone on the bench seat.  I think he even got slobbered on.  I was literally screaming because it was kind of freaky. Cohen was in shock and Ammon had a huge grin on his face totally petting the giraffe's head.  It was just crazy.  The giraffe then reached his head all the way down to the floor board in the van and started grabbing stuff and eating it.  The crazy thing was that Larry, who was driving, couldn't just drive off because the giraffe had worked his neck in just perfectly and we would have caused some major damage to the van and the animal. I actually got most of it on video.  And have enjoyed watching it over.  Finally the giraffe wiggled back out of the van and we finished our tour.  It was such a fun day and exciting day!

They also had a zoo at the park that was full of great animals that were actually up and alert, unlike most zoos were all of the animals are sleeping.

If you are ever in Georgia go check it out. It's pretty entertaining! And rent van number 14.

2 comments:

Jami said...

that is hilarious! I can't believe he's IN the van. So fun.

Celeste said...

That is awesome... I love how they are running after the car! How fun... the kids will remember that for ever!