Thursday, July 16, 2009

to potty train.


Rylee is barely two but I'm thinking she might be ready to be potty trained. She takes her diaper off everytime she goes to the bathroom. Including and most unfortunately when she goes number 2. I've had some pretty nasty messes to clean up. So how do you potty train a two year old? My boys were both three when they were potty trained and had much more understanding and vocabulary to process going in the toilet. I'm lost and don't know where to start. I've tried to put her on the toilet and she freaked out. She will sit on a little potty for about 2 seconds and then get off. Send answers my way, please.

11 comments:

Aubree said...

Cohen does the same thing! I think you know when they are ready and able to understand it. I tried when Hailee was just about 2 and she was not ready. I waited till she was just under 2 1/2 and it took about 2 weeks and she had no problems. I guess those extra months were what she needed. But I think after trying for a few days you will know if she is ready. You can always start and if she is not ready than just wait. Plus she may regress with a new baby coming so soon. To get Cohen to leave his diapers on I put them on backwards. He hasn't figured it out yet! :)
Good luck!!!

Alex and Mitch said...

K...so as the sister without children you would think I would have no answers for you or have any clue what I am talking aboout....but i do. I was watching Dr. Phil the other day and he had a little segment on potty training your kids. It is kind of funny and involves a doll that can pee but it sounds like it really works! check out his website or I can tell you about it later. I think Rylee would be old enough and understand it enough to do it Dr. Phil's way.

Kalie said...

Madison potty trained at 1 1/2 years so it is do-able. Our method was for her to go into the bathroom with Chris every time he went, then she would sit there with him and finally she got it? Obviously you have to take her more often but that really worked for Maddie, plus the other thing that helped was a sticker chart in the bathroom, where she got a sticker every time she went...Good Luck! That would be great before the baby comes :)

Julie said...

I hear girls potty train easier/earlier...I wouldn't know. But my niece has been potty trained since she was 2 - it can be done. Good luck, sorry I have no words of advice - let me know, 'cause I wanna get Jaxon going soon - I'm sick of diapers!

Tiffany said...

oh dear Kelly, we have the same life! Look at my most recent post and you will laugh. I trained both of my girls when they were barely 2 and they both did it really easy. I used a book called "toilet training in less than a day" and it worked like a champ. I am about to start with Sadie (as soon as we get home from vacation) because I can't stand the diaper stripper. Today I duct taped it on... that has worked so far ;) Good luck!

Jami said...

I got this book used on amazon...potty training in less than a day. I think I'll wait a little longer to start w/ Keal, but you just get a potty doll and go through all these steps. It's training on all different psychological levels...positive reinforcement, mimicking and a bunch of other things. I figure it's worth a try...so they have elmo potty dolls at target and I got a basaball potty...I'm armed! good luck

Jenni said...

My Ryli potty trained 2 weeks before she turned two. All it took was princess panties and M&Ms (regular for pee and peanut for poop). She just got one everytime she did it and we would clap and throw a little mini party and she would clap. She had the peeing doll too and we would throw parties for her too.

Kasey said...

First of all, cutest picture ever. She looks so much older with her hair down!

Secondly, YOU CAN DO IT! You have to run with it when they are ready or else when you are ready, they have zero interest. At least that's what I think. Both my girls were trained at 2 and it didn't take much work at all. As long as she is ready, it shouldn't be too hard. Use what she likes best and bribe, bribe, bribe. Good luck sis!

Celeste said...

I have no idea.. but my neighbor is doing it right now with her two year old and I know that there are lots of treats involved when she does go and she has been pretty much naked running around the house for the last two weeks.

Anonymous said...

If she doesn't like the big toilet try getting a little potty for her. She might like that better.

Kristan Carter said...

I had Kali potty trained the week she turned 2..I just started out about 3 hours a day...taking her about every hour....then I gave it a go...panty's all the time....she has only had a few accidents and we are going on 3 months...Good Luck.